Schedule Your PC to Shut Down using PC Auto Shutdown
Many of us leave our PCs on unattended for long periods of time so that we can complete certain tasks that do not require human intervention – such as defragging the hard drive, downloading large files or running intensive virus scans. Usually, these tasks don’t require an entire night to complete, but we nevertheless tend to leave the machine running .
PC Auto Shutdown – a freeware tool that allows you to schedule an automatic shutdown at a certain time, even allowing you to make it a regular daily or weekly occurrence.
- download from this http://download.chip.eu/en/PC-Auto-Shutdown_552014.html. and grab the installer for PC Auto Shutdown. Once this lightweight file has finished downloading, run it to kick off the installation process and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Open software PC Auto Shutdown using the desktop shortcut that was added during installation.
- In the General tab, ensure there is a countdown duration of at least 10 seconds in the Countdown Duration field. This ensures that, if you are present when the automatic shutdown occurs, you have the option to cancel it. Check the Show System Tray Icon for Easy Access box, if it is not already checked.
- Select the Hotkeys tab if you wish to specify key combinations to perform certain actions. For example, you can set a specific combination of keys (such as CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+P) to shut down the PC. This step is not required if you are only interested in the automatic shutdown features of PC Auto Shutdown.
- Select the Timer tab to schedule a shutdown. Click Add, then specify a name for the Timer (useful if you want to set up multiple schedules), check the Enable Timer box to activate the timer and choose a Shutdown Action from the dropdown menu.
- Set the Time that the shutdown should occur, using the hour and minute picklists. E.g. for a 4am shutdown, set 04 in the hour picklist and 00 in the minute picklist (using the small up/down arrows to adjust the numerical values).
- Specify the frequency of the schedule by clicking one of the 4 radio buttons: Activate Once, Activate Daily, Activate on Weekdays and Activate Weekly. If you select Activate Weekly, you must then specify a day from the corresponding dropdown menu.
- Click OK to set the schedule. Your PC will now shutdown automatically at the specified time.